Twin County Airport
504 Airport Road
Hillsville, VA 24343
Phone (276) 728-4504
Fax (276) 728-4544
|Private Pilot Ground School
Private Pilot Ground School
PRIVATE PILOT GROUND SCHOOL INSTRUCTOR: Mr. Bob Steele, AGI, Phone: (276) 728-7100 or (276) 733-3206
Class begins: The next class begins on Monday January 7, 2013 and will meet on Wednesday night as well. There are 11 sessions.
COURSE OBJECTIVE: Learn the material required by the FAA for the private pilot knowledge test (airplane) with the objective of each student passing the test.
CLASSROOM PROCEDURE: Lecture and guided discussion.
1. Each class will begin with a review and questions from the last class (approximately 5-15 minutes).
2. Next, there will be a brief overview and core concepts for the current evening’s assignment, followed by class discussion and questions.
3. When appropriate, after the class break, an in-class quiz will be administered, self-graded, and analyzed through class discussion.
4. The last 15-30 minutes of each class session will be directed toward an overview and discussion of the next class’s assignment.
5. Visual aids and handouts will be used as appropriate.
REQUIRED TEXT: Private Pilot and Recreational Pilot FAA Knowledge Test, by Irvin N. Gleim.
RECOMMENDED TEXT: Pilot Handbook, by Irvin H. Gleim.
REQUIRED ACCESSORIES: Flight Computer, Navigational Plotter
COST: $150.00 for Ground School, plus $32.85 for the required text and accessories
Class Date Study Units Topic
1 Introduction, 1 Introduction, Airplanes, and Aerodynamic Theory
2 1, 2 Aerodynamics and Airplane Instruments, Engines and Systems
3 2, 3 Airplane Systems, Airports, ATC, and Airspace
4 3, 4 Airspace, FARs
5 4, 5 FARs, Airplane Performance, Weight and Balance
6 5, 6 Weight and Balance, Aero medical Factors, and Aeronautical Decision Making
7 6, 7 Aeronautical Decision Making, and Aviation Weather
8 Attend EAA Chapter 1426 Meeting
9 7, 8 Aviation Weather, and Aviation Weather Services
9 8, 9 Aviation Weather Services, Navigation: Charts, Publications, and Flight Computers
10 9,10 Navigation, Navigation Systems
11 10, 11 Navigation Systems, Cross Country Flying
12 11, Review Cross Country Flying, Review
13 Review Review for pilot knowledge test
*PPHT = Private Pilot and Recreational Pilot FAA Knowledge Test